Over 65 Catalan pro-independence leaders, activists and lawyers, as well as thousands of citizens have been massively spied upon by Spain, using the Israeli Pegasus spyware, according to revelations disclosed by the prestigious Canadian NGO, The Citizen Lab.
The attack on Catalan leaders is the largest in the world using the Pegasus spyware, which can only be bought by states. An important fact, which has not left anyone indifferent.
John Scott-Railton, a senior investigator at the University of Toronto’s Citizen Lab high-tech human rights abuses research group: “There is solid circumstantial evidence to suggest that the perpetrators of the espionage with Pegasus spyware is one or more entities in the Spanish government.”
List of some of the leaders affected by the espionage
– Catalan President Pere Aragonès
– Former President Carles Puigdemont
– Former President Quim Torra
– Former President Artur Mas
Members of the European Parliament
– Clara Ponsatí (Junts)
– Antoni Comín (Junts)
– Diana Riba (ERC)
– Jordi Solé (ERC)
Catalan Civil Society
– Jordi Sànchez, former President of the Catalan National Assembly (ANC)
– Elisenda Paluzie, President of the ANC.
– Sònia Urpí, board member of the ANC.
– Jordi Cuixart, former President of Òmnium Cultural.
– Marcel Mauri, former Vice-President of Òmnium Cultural.
– Jordi Bosch, board member of Òmnium Cultural.
– Elena Jiménez, board member of Òmnium Cultural.
– Gonzalo Boye, representing Puigdemont as well as many Catalan pro-independence figures.
– Andreu Van den Eynde, representing leaders such as Oriol Junqueras, Raül Romeva, Roger Torrent, and Ernest Maragall.
– Jaume Alonso-Cuevillas, a lawyer who represented Carles Puigdemont.
– Roger Torrent, former Parliament speaker.
– The current speaker, Laura Borràs.
– Esquerra Republicana (ERC): 12 members targeted
– Junts: 11 members targeted
– CUP: 4 members targeted.
– PDeCAT: 3 members targeted.
The mass espionage of Catalan leaders, lawyers, and civil society figures has also affected thousands of ordinary citizens.